Sunday, April 15, 2012

Final Blog Reflection


As this course comes to an end and reflecting on my GAME plan, I have gained great insight as to how to implement my plan.  I have read articles and conversed with colleagues to seek the information I needed.  I find myself growing in the area of designing and developing digital-age learning experiences and assessments.  With what I have learned through this course, I have begun to realize the possibilities and gained ideas from the videos as well as from my cohort.  By creating and implementing the unit plan lesson for problem based learning, I have begun to utilize digital age learning experiences.  By implementing this lesson, I also strengthened by promoting and modeling digital citizenship and responsibility.  I have learned how to utilize technology with the limited amount I have.  I hope to have impacted student learning by implementing my new learning.  I may have to modify my plan due to the lack of technology in my classroom in order to strengthen my use of the NETS-T standards.  I will have to utilize the computer lab more and seek advice from school personnel in regards to the limited technology. 


The immediate adjustments I will make to my instructional practice regarding technology would be to use it in the classroom.  I have a few student computers in my classroom that I could be utilizing during daily instruction.  I also need to make better use of the computer lab and have my students work cooperatively using the computers to enhance learning.  I could incorporate problem based learning through technology by having students research certain aspects of the standard being taught.  I now realize how important it is for students to solve a problem on their own and learn from their findings.  I could also use technology for social networking or online collaboration to promote student engagement.  This could be done with a wiki or a blog site.  This is a great way for students to go beyond the classroom for answers.  Students have the opportunity to ask experts questions and share their findings to a larger audience. 


As far as digital storytelling, this would be the most engaging lesson but at the same time, the most challenging for a math teacher.  After reading ideas I could use digital storytelling for, the most useful unit this would be most beneficial would be when I am teaching the Pythagorean Theorem.  I like the idea of using this form of technology for this lesson as it engages the students and brings the Pythagorean Theorem to life.  After reading about digital storytelling, I find this type of lesson to be used most often.  Students can download a quick video or still pictures and narrate.  This is a quick way to assess the students that does not take up as much time.  I also read from suggestions that these could be shared a little along the way as warm ups or even as a review for a test.  Out of the three types of lessons I designed, I like this format the best in a math class.  I feel that my students can be creative as well as learn the material and share what they have learned to others.  I feel that the students gain an ownership of their learning and they are in control of what they share.  I will definitely use these types of lessons in future lessons I plan for my students.   

No comments:

Post a Comment